All Statistics majors are assigned a faculty advisor. Major advisors can assist students with course selection, answer department policy questions, and connect students with on-campus resources. If you are currently a Statistics major and you're not sure who your advisor is, please contact the lead advisor, Dr. Matt Carlton.
Cal Poly and the College of Science and Mathematics also offer advising services to students. Visit the Statistics Department Advising Canvas site for more information.
One-on-one and group tutoring services are available to Statistics students. Visit the Statistics Department Tutoring page for details.
Statistics students are encouraged to assist faculty in their research endeavors. The Statistics Department maintains an up-to-date list of student research opportunities. Please contact the listed faculty member with questions regarding their project.
Stat Club is the social/activity club for Statistics majors, minors, and enthusiasts. The club hosts student events, a STAT buddy program and list of statistics tutors. See the STAT Club webpage for more information.
Opportunities & Internships
- Student Opportunities Blog- The Statistics Department hosts a blog listing a variety of opportunities for Statistics students including job, internship, and research opportunities and information on graduate programs nationwide.
- STATtr@k is a website for new statistics professionals navigating a data-centric world. It is geared toward individuals who are in a statistics program, recently graduated from a statistics program, or recently entered the job world.
- The American Statistical Association (ASA) is dedicated to and involved in enhancing the preparation of statisticians for success, including providing resources to statistics students. The ASA student resource page has student and early career resources; student membership; publications; communities; programs in statistics, biostatistics and data science; internships and fellowships; and student awards and competitions.
- The American Statistical Association’s Internship page and MustangJOBS, powered by Handshake both provide many internship listings for Statistics students. To aid you in your job and internship search, Career Services has put together a useful resource guide tailored specifically to Statistics students. To access the guide you will need to first log in to MustangJOBS through your my.calpoly.edu portal.
- For internship related questions contact the Statistics Department’s internship faculty advisor, Dr. Bret Holladay or make an appointment with Career Services.