Statistical Consulting Service
The statistical consulting service provides free help to Cal Poly students, faculty and staff. Clients should bring a description of research goals, collected dataset and a description of how the data was collected on a CD or USB drive to the appointment.
Consulting Service Contact(s):
Faculty Consultants for Winter 2017 are Heather Smith and Dennis Sun.
Contact information: Please email email@example.com for requests.
The function of the consulting statistician is to provide advice on various statistical techniques to members of the Cal Poly community involved in university-related research, theses, or senior project.
The role of the consultant includes:
- Advice on the use of any statistical technique
- Advice on the type of statistical analysis available for a particular problem and sources of information if the consultee is unfamiliar with the methodology
- Information on the appropriate computer package/program to apply to a particular problem
- Presentation on statistical techniques to classes, faculty groups, administrators on request
The role of the consultant DOES NOT include:
- Help on homework assignments
- Instruction of statistics to students enrolled in courses whose syllabus or class description indicates that one of the purposes of the class is the instruction of statistics
- Evaluation of any completed student work (e.g., theses, senior projects)
- Instruction on the specifics of text editors, uses of PCs, and things of that nature
- Writing of command code programs or data entry
- Repeated or last-minute advice on any problem
- Rushing through a project due to time constraints placed on students by faculty