Statistics Department Statement on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Cal Poly Statistics Department recognizes and celebrates the diverse backgrounds of our students, our faculty, our staff, and our clients. We believe in treating one another with dignity and respect. We continuously endeavor to make our classrooms and the workspace in our department equitable and inclusive.
Statistics is the study of variation. As statisticians and data scientists, we investigate diverse aspects of human (and other) populations. These investigations are embedded in social and cultural contexts, which invoke aspects of each researcher’s identity. We cannot have constructive discussions about statistical investigations unless we acknowledge and embrace that everyone approaches them with a different perspective, each informed by different aspects of our identity and our lived experiences. These diverse perspectives facilitate a richer understanding of how statistics can be used in the progression of science.
As a department, we stand united in support of the Cal Poly values of love, empathy, and respect. We are committed to actively supporting one another. We also stand emphatically against all actions disparaging any group or demographic of individuals. And through all these actions we believe we can help make our department, our college, and our university a better place to be.
- Article: “Diversity in Data Science & Statistics” (many resources listed for women and underrepresented minorites in statistics and data science)
- Article: “Crunching the Numbers on Diversity in Data Science: Events & Resources to Foster Inclusion”
- Article: “LGBT+ Resources for Statisticians and Data Scientists”
- American Statistical Association Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Task Force
- American Statistical Association Announces Anti-Racism Task Force